November 1, 2008

Halloween

My kids didn't start trick or treating until about 8 years ago, and now they are too old to bother..... but took these pictures for a friend last night as her daughter prepared for a Halloween Party.

Whatever the costume was meant to be, it made a change from vampires and witches.... and she was seriously scary to me, and her mother. Why? Cos she is 10 next week..... and it is always unsettling to see the beautiful woman waiting to emerge from the child.




We watched "Mamma Mia" again last week, and as usual cried over the song where Donna gets Sophie ready for her wedding and reminisces about how fast she has grown up ..

"Slipping though my fingers".

Schoolbag in hand, she leaves home in the early morning
Waving goodbye with an absent-minded smile
I watch her go with a surge of that well-known sadness

And I have to sit down for a while

The feeling that I'm losing her forever

And without really entering her world

I'm glad whenever I can share her laughter

That funny little girl


Last night, I could see that feeling came even closer for another mother. Pride and awe and loss all rolled into one.

3 comments:

  1. With tears in my eyes I just read your post. I could not have written it any better, kudos darls to you!!!!
    'sniff,sniff, wahwah. Took ages to get blimmin make up off.
    kirst xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, she is a very pretty girl :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL - I always cry at that song too!

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome....always love to hear what you think!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin