April 14, 2011

Christchurch Quake Photos 1: The Red Zone (20pics) | Weather Watch

Media_httpweatherwatc_jqdje

There are some great pictures here of the current state of the city...
and an extra album at the end to look through.

As the central cordon has gradually lifted, it is now possible to get closer to the inner "no-go" zone, and there are people looking sadly through hurricane fencing and chatting to the ever present army... this week I saw much of this as I drove from work across town before turning north. I took it in, driving very slowly, in no hurry.

We handle grief in bite sized chunks... taking it in slowly, one street at a time, driving slowly over the liquefied roads, past rubble and destruction. I have developed a loathing of bricks and concrete.

The blog talking about these pictures is at:
http://weatherwatch.co.nz/content/christchurch-quake-blog-red-zone

Posted via email from Four Paws and Whiskers

4 comments:

  1. I am so sorry this happened.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think too many think that things are back to normal for you in NZ. My heart aches for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fi:
    Thanks for correcting me re. Owen Wright. Things were all terribly confused back then. I've changed it on the blog. Let me know if there's anything else you think I should add. ap

    ReplyDelete
  4. Obviously no-one living in New Zealand can not have Christchurch and its people in their minds at some time every day. There is, however, a sort of acceptance that just sets in until, that is, a post such as this one comes along and acts as a stark reminder just how bad things still are.

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome....always love to hear what you think!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin