May 19, 2012

Wilf the PON discovers France.: To the very end .

People sometimes wonder why anyone blogs. It is something you either do and enjoy, or just have no time for. For me I just like thinking about stuff, but really, a lot of the greatest pleasure has been sharing ideas by reading other people's blogs; seeing life through the eyes of someone else.
It has been a real privilege and a pleasure to follow Angus and his stories of their lives in Italy and France with Wilf and Digby. Sadly they lost Digby two years ago, and today, Wilf. I have cried a few times since I read this blogpost, like many other readers.
I know Wilf had the best death we can offer a pet. At home, in a familiar places surrounded by the people who loved him. Loved and respected.
As a vet and fellow dog owner, this is how it should be and I am so glad for them that it was... but I know it is not true for many pet owners, or people.
At the moment I am studying this subject with one of my vet nursing classes- how can we help people with pet loss, particularly euthanasia. The topic is something vets often do not deal with well and I want them to see this as a shining example....
To quote Angus:
A journey completed with dignity. Laughter to the end. All dogs , all people , should go like this. Gently. Unafraid. Loved. Respected.
Give me a couple of hours and Wilf will lie next to his brother, on top of the ridge, sheltered by the old oak trees. A view to the mountains . A spot where the house lights linger at night. A good place for a family hero.
Au Revoir Wilfee x and Sincere condolences to Angus and "the Font".

5 comments:

  1. Seems that Friko and myself are not the only ones musing about our reasons for blogging!

    Sorry to hear about Wilf, but yes, like my Pukky two months ago, he was fortunate in being allowed to die at home and close to the people who were "his".

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's often a difficult decision. When BP (Big Puss) succumbed very rapidly to renal and heart failure and was in such distress I had no hesitation in euthanasia as a kind and appropriate end to an otherwise almost vet-free and very long life. He died in my arms as the vet injected him. I will never forget the look on BP's face. But I would do the same again if I had to.

    As for the reasons for blogging I've been thinking too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wilf's beautiful story made me cry too. So glad to know that you are teaching vet students how to end lives well. We've farewelled pets many times, and the best one was when the vet came to our home and eased Blott's passing in familiar arms and surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is with a sense of extreme loss that we read of Wilf's passing but in every cloud there is a silver lining, he crosses over in the arms of his family. Wilf, Angus and family has taught us how to celebrate life.

    Bats & Robin

    www.jeddahalleycats.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. “At the moment I am studying this subject with one of my vet nursing classes- how can we help people with pet loss, particularly euthanasia.”
    I encourage you wholeheartedly in this particular project. The end of a pet's life is a particularly vulnerable time for pet-carers – I know, I've been there – and a sensitive veterinarian can help to mollify the pain.

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome....always love to hear what you think!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin