September 5, 2012

What would you choose?

What do all these pets have in common?








Amazingly - they are all dead.
and then Freeze Dried...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2099304/Eternally-The-freeze-dried-pets-loving-pet-owners-bear-bury-cremated.html

The first time I saw pictures of this process I thought how artificial they looked....http://www.perpetualpet.net/Gallery/ - although to be fair, it is often hard to tell just which are post freezing pictures and which are pictures of the pet during it's lifetime!
Tonight the subject came up in our class forum where we are studying grief processes -  and I found those pictures above...
and this video about it

and another article about it all - http://www.livescience.com/18775-freeze-dry-pet-preservation.html
I can't see it as being something I would do ( and luckily I am sure it is not offered here in NZ)  - although Poppy lying beside me looks similar to many of these "pets" - but at least she is warm and stretches out luxuriously when I stroke her and growls if any dog or animal or bird appears on tv (she must sleep with one eye open) .... and if I can't have that, I don't want some caricature of it.
But people all want different things. If you want it - you can have it, as long as you live in America.
it really could be worse...


http://www.amusingplanet.com/2011/04/gunther-von-hagenss-plastinated-animal.html



3 comments:

  1. Call me old-fashioned, but I rather remember the cats I used to have by looking at pictures of them how they were when they were still happy and healthy, and since death is naturally a part of every living being's life(!) cycle, the idea of artificially "prolonging" someone's physical presence does not appeal to me at all.
    Even less so can I imagine people doing that with the bodies of deceased spouses, parents or children. It seems a very much Ancient Egypt-type approach...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. As distasteful to me as that traveling exhibit that was making the rounds a couple of years back of human bodies stripped of skin and plasticized. To each his or her own, I suppose, but I'm sort of ashamed to know it came from my country (although I suppose I should have expected that was the case.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have we not become self indulgent to a rather obscene degree?

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome....always love to hear what you think!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin