July 21, 2013

Holidays, family times and earthquakes


Thinking of all the people tonight further north in Blenheim and Wellington who have had two large earthquakes tonight and many aftershocks. Travel on trains has been stopped, and the airport is closed in Wellington. We certainly know how they are feeling.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/8945358/Big-quake-shakes-central-New-Zealand

A severe magnitude 6.5 earthquake has hit central New Zealand this evening, damaging buildings, cutting power, trapping people in lifts and injuring at least two people.
GeoNet said it was centred in the Cook Strait, 20 kilometres east of Seddon at a depth of 17 kilometres. It struck at 5.09pm.
There is a good explanation on the trusty Geonet blog - a great site running a swervice that saw us through many earthquakes.

http://geonet-shakennotstirred.blogspot.co.nz/2013/07/a-weekend-of-earthquakes-what-is-going.html

I guess we can be grateful it happened on a Sunday when most people were not in high rise offices or travelling.  Christchurch people know that feeling too - the aftershock five months later was smaller in magnitude but it was when all the people died.

Jaz has just shared a good blog with information of what is helpful to have ready!
http://sarahlibrarina.tumblr.com/post/3531006723/emergency-kit-eqnz

and we are all thrilled that Jaz is back blogging too - welcome back!
start here: http://treacytravels.blogspot.co.nz/2013/07/hi-there-so-nice-to-be-back.html

While Jaz and I were out tonight we were thinking about our own supplies of water, gas etc and as soon as I got home, Alex announced we had used the gas up in the kitchen. Still got a spare cylinder but will top it up tomorrow... got the generator ( but is there fuel?) , and there is water ( is it green?) .

Anyway, have had a lovely week off getting some emergency roof repairs done and trying to unpack some more stuff, hang curtains, garden.... as well as plenty of time to hang out with some friends and all the family.  Before Liam left we went out a Vietnamese banquet - yum!

James and Jess

and the next night I went to a Chinese Banquet... Phoebe even ate the squid.


Is this all I get - rice and fizzy?

Caitlin 
This week I have had many new photos from my first mother in England and enjoyed seeing so many of my birth relatives.  I can't post them here, but it is quite surreal to see them and identify features and glimpses of my mother and my sisters and nieces and nephews. People who are actually related to me.  Beautiful people :)

The Christchurch Botanical Gardens are celebrating 150 years with a light show in the evenings.  It was a great experience to go to it tonight.  From the fire displays on the kids were mesmerised and a good crowd were there. It runs again next week so take yours along 5.30 - 7 at the Armagh St entrance.


Caitlin and Molly



Kaleidoscope of colours

May the Force be with you....

Phoebe's devil eyes!
We finished up with a lovely pizza dinner at Spagalimi's.

And finally, Liam now has his helicopter pilot's licence and is working on his commercial licence next.
He sent through some pictures...


Landing at 2,800 ft

Possible landing sites

Just so pleased he is doing so well and enjoying it so much :) A proud Mum.

Sleep well folks
x




6 comments:

  1. Returning from a week away this afternoon, your blog is the first place where I have heard of the earthquake. I am glad you personally are not affected this time, and it sounds like you had a good week off and made the most of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was a beautiful evening for it too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read your post last night at about 1.30 when I got to bed and was too tired to comment so I've just re-read it. It's good to catch up with so many aspects of your life in one fell swoop! Every time I see the children on Facebook or, now on Jaz's blog again, I realise how they are growing up in the time that I've 'known' you all.

    I get the quake notifications on the iPhone app so I've been following it on the various news websites. As it happens friends from Napier were in Wellington for the weekend. Scary in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your website the other day and after reading a handful of posts, thought I would say thank you for all the great content. Keep it coming! I will try to stop by here more often.


    family holidays

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a lot of news! Also you have updated me on my comment above, I can't believe you are still leading such uncertain lives with supplies and essentials not secured, it sounds like living in a war zone.

    On a happier note it is great to see your photos, such beautiful girls.

    Best wishes to you

    S x

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome....always love to hear what you think!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin