September 19, 2013

Thankful Thursday - for Mothers and Music

Since finding my first parents, whether it is nature or nurture, I have learned more about the source of my love for music.  Like many people, I had a childish fantasy for years that I was a performer with an amazing voice ...... so when I found out that my birth mother really was one, who worked all her life as a cabaret singer and travelled extensively with her keyboard playing husband so she could always sing, it somehow was not a surprise.  In many ways she lived a life I had fantasised about for years! She told me she knew that I might inherit the passion and specifically asked for me to be placed with a musical family.

While I grew up, my second mother was and still is, a wonderful singer and pianist, who also plays the organ. I had piano lessons and many opportunities to explore musicals, choirs and learn to sing harmony. I was remembering recently with some old school friends from Bedales how we sang in a whole school production of Carmina Burana when we were 12. Later, at high school and after university I trod the boards in shows like Oliver, Grease, Joseph, Noyes Fludde, My Fair Lady and sang madrigals and church choirs. When the arrival of the children made it hard to perform on stage, I turned to helping with the make up and backstage setups for many more wonderful shows.  Magical :)

What I want to say on this Thankful Thursday, is that I am not a great soloist, but today I sing in a community choir. It is my musical family and we leave rehearsals energised and cheerful.  A return to what makes me happy after the turbulence of the earthquakes. I want to say thank you to both my mothers for their part in making music such a source of pleasure in my life. For the genes and opportunity to be part of it, enjoy and explore it.  I am sure you are both pleased that your grand children have inherited musical skills and appreciation too, that I did my bit to encourage them to learn music. Their singing and performing has made me very proud too.

I think of my first mother whenever I hear this song.... I am sorry I never got to see you perform Lynn - I bet you looked like this too!
Thank you for the Music :)



Songwriters: ANDERSSON, BENNY GORAN BROR / ULVAEUS, BJOERN K.
I'm nothing special, in fact I'm a bit of a bore 
If I tell a joke, you've probably heard it before 
But I have a talent, a wonderful thing 
'cause everyone listens when I start to sing 
I'm so grateful and proud 
All I want is to sing it out loud 

So I say 
Thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing 
Thanks for all the joy they're bringing 
Who can live without it, I ask in all honesty 
What would life be? 
Without a song or a dance what are we? 
So I say thank you for the music 
For giving it to me 

Mother says I was a dancer before I could walk 
She says I began to sing long before I could talk 
And I've often wondered, how did it all start? 
Who found out that nothing can capture a heart 
Like a melody can? 
Well, whoever it was, I'm a fan 

So I say 
Thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing 
Thanks for all the joy they're bringing 
Who can live without it, I ask in all honesty 
What would life be? 
Without a song or a dance what are we? 
So I say thank you for the music 
For giving it to me 

I've been so lucky, I am the girl with golden hair 
I wanna sing it out to everybody 
What a joy, what a life, what a chance! 

So I say 
Thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing 
Thanks for all the joy they're bringing 
Who can live without it, I ask in all honesty 
What would life be? 
Without a song or a dance what are we? 
So I say thank you for the music 
For giving it to me

4 comments:

  1. What a talent to have and for which to be thankful Fiona. By an amazing coincidence I was listening to Orf's Carmina Burana yesterday. Today I'm playing the Beethoven Piano Concertos (the musical equivalent of spaghetti bolognese - the perfect comfort food). I inherited my mother's love of music but not her ability (to play the piano). When I first came to New Zealand I had intended to go to a teacher and get my voice back into shape for singing but croquet took over my life instead. I would so loved to have had your natural talent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I have given all my children the love of music even though they don't all use it to sing or play - I think it is all about opening their lives to the possibilities of finding just what they do enjoy! Three of them are artistic in a range of ways and I haven't traced the source of that so far.

      Delete
  2. Carmina Burana! Now, that is something I have not heard in a long time. I love it very much and know good part of it by heart.
    When I was a teenager, I was a member of my local church choir but then managed to acquire a chronically irritated larynx by not dealing properly with a bronchitis, and that put an end to my singing "career".
    How lovely for you to know that your love for music and talent for it has a genetic as well as a social foundation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you still enjoy listening, even if you cant sing anymore :)

      Delete

Comments welcome....always love to hear what you think!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin