March 23, 2014

Appreciating the late summer sun as graduation week begins

I am really loving the spell of fine weather - an autumn treat as the leaves change colour around the city. We feel as if summer hardly got started this year so got to make the most of every day we can.

Poppy and Jess made some friends at the dog park... there were seven of them!




We spent a lovely day at Sumner Beach yesterday.  Hot sun, beautiful scenery and a relaxing afternoon.


Quiet day today after a very late chat with my Mother in England. She has sent me piles of lovely pictures of all my relatives and ancestors and it was good to chat and have a giggle together and catch up on her news.

Blair, my nephew has got a job in Auckland, so will be leaving us soon. Alex and I went to Mum and Dad's for fresh scones with jam and cream  and James and Jess came over. I took all the new family photos over to show them - it's a novelty for them to see their family resemblances too.  We also looked back at all the Kent  ancestry too for Dad and Blair.  It was a peek into a way of life that has gone; history captured in letters and photos.  It made us wonder how we will look back at our lives today - blogs, social media, digital photos - what will our grandchildren all look at?  The back ups we keep are never seen by anyone !


I got these pics of the Marlborough Sounds as I flew over on Thursday - you can just see the Interislander Cook Strait ferry in the channel crossing from Picton to Wellington.











You can see a map of the route at https://www.google.co.nz/maps/search/picton+ferry/@-41.2537453,174.2519566,11z



It is graduation week for us so we have reunions with our classes and formalities to look forward to :). I love seeing them all again. It is a timely reminder of why we do the work we do. Congratulations are definitely in order for all of them.

Have a great week!

9 comments:

  1. Superb weather, it is wise to make the most of it and take such beautiful pictures as reminders when rainy and cold days set in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daylight saving ends soon and the slippery slope into dark mornings begins :( Actually it was dark this morning when I left home - it will improve slightly for a little while at least!

      Delete
  2. View of the Marlborough Sounds is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Angus - I don't usually see it when flying into Wellington - was a real treat to take a different flight path to get to Palmerston North. Made me want to go there and hire a boat and go islnd hopping....

      Delete
  3. Most people I know delete their emails as soon as they've read them. Although I used to keep backups of my pre-Gmail emails (I had my own domain name through my business) they are lost in the mists of old hard drives (though probably discoverable somewhere in Eagleton's cupboards). But with many thousands of emails on my personal Gmail address alone will anyone ever look? Would I want them too? I think the reality of it is that letters were fairly manageable but all the information we churn out now has gone far beyond manageability.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably pays to print a few things out GB.. best photos... significant events. Maybe even write real letters....
      I am glad they are archiving some things as part of museums- like here, samples of the blog posts about the earthquakes.

      Delete
    2. Given the amount we churn out Fi how on earth does one decide what to print out? As for writing letters I still do and I use a fountain pen to do it. This morning I posted three. This week I've received two letters written using fountain pens too (and a letter card using a biro).

      Delete
  4. I write special letters in fountain pen too... The rest is light drivel that probably doesn't deserve to be kept :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, digital media - makes me want to print everything off and store it for the future!

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome....always love to hear what you think!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin